Thursday, March 31, 2011

Finding Insight on Navy Life through Television and Movies

I have always loved the movie Top Gun, and admired those who are pilots and work in aviation... kind of ironic because I am going into aviation aircrew in the Navy.

Hollywood directors give their interpretation of Navy life but few get it quite right. It is nice to dream that this is what it will be like.

Other movies that I have seen that depict a look into the Navy are A Few Good Men, Men of Honor, and GI Jane. There are also a couple of other movies that my family owns either on DVD or VHS: The Rock and Tears of the Sun, but I have seen neither of these two.

They are all fascinating depictions but are the writer's and director's vision of what it is like. I know they have researched and gotten backing from the Navy. They have come close but not close enough. I was on the hunt to learn more.

I learned about boot camp from videos I have seen online called Return to Boot camp, and other movies on Navy.mil.

Also there is this miniseries on PBS that nailed it. It is about life on an aircraft carrier at sea and all of the various jobs and roles therein. It is called Carrier. It was a very informative documentary/melodrama about the USS Nimitz and Operation Iraqi Freedom.  (Full episodes can be found by searching on pbs.org)

I am done with my research for now, and relaxing and so I can enjoy my last month at home. Now just to start checking off stuff on my to-do list and exercising, and I can visit with friends and family. Time is going to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment