Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ugh Gotta Start PT... A Necessary Evil

I need to start getting in shape before I go to Basic Training... only about 2 months to get ready (83 days to be exact). For Basic the standards I need to pass are as follows: Minimum-- Curl ups (sit-ups) 47, Push-ups 15, 1.5 Mile Run 15:45, 500yd Swim 14:15, and 450m Swim 14:05; Maximum--Curl ups 101, Push-ups 46, 1.5 Mile Run 10:17, 500yd Swim 7:23, and 450m Swim 7:13.

Also for my Aircrewman Candidate School standards I need to pass a class 2 swimming test: Swim 1 mile in flight suit in under 80 minutes; swim 75yds in full flight gear (backstroke, sidestroke, breaststroke--25yds each);  tread water for 2 minutes in full flight gear, followed by 3 minutes of drown-proofing, followed by 5 minutes of floating with a life preserver; and jump from a 12-foot tower and swim 15yds underwater wearing full flight suit and boots.

My recruiter told me that I should get a free membership to the Y with my DEP (delayed entry program) ID. Also, I am going to check into a discounted alumni pass at my alma mater for the recreation center. I need a workout buddy... soon I should have one. I was also told that soon PT sessions will begin for Future Sailors with my DEP group.

My biggest challenges are going to be fine-tuning my swimming skills, cutting my run time, and my form for my push-ups and sit-ups. With time it will be better, and I need to keep motivated... I can do this! PT will become a BIG part of my life in the Navy, might as well begin to get used to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment