Friday, March 11, 2011

First Conditioning Session with Dad

Just got back from my first of many morning runs with my dad. I thought that he was going to start off slow. We jogged 4 miles...well most of it anyway. There were a couple of times that he passed me up and I had to struggle to catch up with him. He kept pushing me. "C'mon," he would say when I lagged behind. Then he'd say, "Not bad for an old, fat guy, huh?" We started out at a slow jog, and that is the pace that I thought we'd keep for the whole jog. Boy, was I wrong... he sped up! When I got tired he told me to keep going... he told me that I had to get used to this because they're going to push me in basic training. There was one time that I started to lag behind and Dad took my arm, like you would to help an  elderly lady to cross the street, and encouraged me to keep jogging.

The last time I went out jogging it was this fall...so it's been like 3 or 4 months, and I usually only jog a mile and a half.. and walk about 1/4 of it... since it is usually with my dog, Jake.

This will take some getting used to. Here's to getting into shape!  I did better than I thought I would, but still got winded after a little over a mile. Then took a break and intermittently jogged and sprinted. But, walking and jogging backwards is supposed to help, Dad says... we shall see. I think once I get back into swimming again that running and everything else will be a piece of cake.

Before we ran this morning I stretched, did my plank exercise and some sit-ups. Then Dad and I stretched some more both before and after our run. He also had me do push-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment