Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sailor Songs, Sea Shanties, Anchors Aweigh, Sailor-inspired songs, and Irish Drinking Songs

I kind of got on a kick today where I started searching for Sailor songs, and thought I'd share a few. I am going to be a Sailor, I may as well know some fun sailor songs.

What do you do with a drunken sailor, early in the morning?  Way hay and up she rises...

Irish Rovers- Drunken Sailor

BBC a spoof with two guys singing a made up song about sailors.

The Mighty Boosh-Future Sailors

This cracked me up! There are a lot of Titanic movie inferences, funny puppets, light shows, funky dancing sailors...  If we all come together, we know what to do...

Toy-Box -The Sailor-Song

The official Navy song... an oldie, but a goodie. Definitely makes me proud to be both an American and a Sailor in the U.S. Navy.

US Navy -Anchors Aweigh

Josh Turner sings a song that is sort of like an old sea song... about a sailor waiting to see his/her dear love again. And, I just love to listen to his voice... so throwing it in here.

Josh Turner - The Longer the Waiting the Sweeter the Kiss

The last shanty... a classic Irish song... reminds me of a drinking song, ha ha. This is great!

Ron and Gerard Walsh - A Sailor Ain't a Sailor Anymore

Another version of this song... more punk rock, and a little more fun... less obnoxious, well an updated version anyway.

Paddy and the Rats - Drunken Sailor


Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly always have good Irish drinking songs... they have a few sailor-inspired songs.  Sometimes you have to listen carefully to understand what they're singing, or look up the lyrics, but it's all good fun.

The Dropkick Murphys song that comes to mind was in the movie The Departed with Leonardo Di Caprio, Matt Damon, and Jack Nicholson, among others in the great cast.

Dropkick Murphys -For Boston

Flogging Molly has a song about a salty dog... a sailor.

Flogging Molly- Salty Dog


Okay, I found a song about a female sailor... and it's another Irish drinking song...

Paddy and the Rats - Sailor Sally

Even pirate songs are still about sailors. They're rogue sailors who steal, shoot up things, and run amuck and are generally scallywags. But, still worth mentioning.

Alestorm - Over the Seas

Ahhh, gotta love the Village People and the 1970s... always a riot, especially the outfits... ridiculous, and such tight pants! Ha ha ha ha. Actually I was watching an episode of Carrier, a PBS mini series, and they had a talent show among the sailors where some of them performed this song.

The Village People - In the Navy

Apparently there is a classic story of a lady who joins the British Navy disguised as a man.  Also known as "The Handsome Sailor" and "The Fair Maid."

Rambling Sailors -When I was a Fair Maid

There is an Australian Navy recruiting song from the 1980s that I had never heard of.

The Pride of the Fleet is You (Australian Navy)

I guess there was a song on an episode of The Simpsons about joining the Navy. The words are kind of funny too...

Party Posse- Join the Navy

Okay, a sailor in the Navy remade Toby Keith's "American Soldier" and calls it American Sailor.

American Sailor

There is also the classic 1970s/1980s song by Christopher Cross and it was later remade by the 90s pop group 'NSync. I'm sure other people probably remade the song too... good song.

Christopher Cross -Sailing

NSync -Sailing

And, of course, my favorite band, The Beach Boys, did a song about sailing. Their songs always transport me mentally to another place... somewhere warm, and carefree.
The Beach Boys - Sail On Sailor

Jimmy Buffet has the classic song that is always fun...

Jimmy Buffet- Son of a Son of a Sailor


Danny Boy... I forgot about this song. It's a classic Irish tune about a sailor. Written by Frederic Edward Weatherly in 1913 with music adapted from the Irish song "Londonderry Air."


The Irish Tenors- Danny Boy


This is an interesting song... I just found it. It's another song about sailing by an Irish rock band.


Irish Stew of Sindidun- The Sailor's Song

As I search, I just keep finding more sailing songs.

Ireland, I Must Sail

The Pogues- Thousands are Sailing

Rod Stewart- I am Sailing

Crestlers- Irish Sailor Man

The Rambling Sailors- A Sailor's Prayer

Dropkick Murphys- The Irish Rover

Popeye the Sailor song

No comments:

Post a Comment