Sunday, March 6, 2011

My life experience as preparation for Navy life

I think that since I know second-hand how the military is, that I will be better prepared than most new recruits. My college days of hanging out with the ROTC crowd definitely taught me to stand up for myself and to develop a thick skin. I was one of the guys and a lot of them were rowdy at times. I have heard from older, wiser people in the Navy that I should be careful and watch out for those military men, especially the young ones. Since I  know how to stand up for myself I can fend off any inappropriateness while still maintaining a level of professionalism. And, I also think that being an Army brat has given me an inside look on how the military works and an idea of what the benefits are. My dad helped guide me towards a branch of service that had a good quality of life, and from there I chose the best fit for me. I know that in the military there is a chance of being deployed to a hostile area, having long periods of time away from my family, and developing a strict regiment. I also know a little about military etiquette, some of the rank structure, and how the pay works. Also, I knew what questions to ask my recruiter to make sure that I got what I want out of the military, such as the loan repayment program and advanced rank. My dad made sure when he accompanied me to the appointment with the recruiter that I got all of my questions answered and to ask questions I didn't think of.  In addition to going with me to the recruiter, my dad also gave me contact information for one of his friends who has been in the Navy a long time, and I have gotten some good insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment