Sunday, May 1, 2011

U.S. Navy in the movies

In the past 2 days I have watched 2 movies featuring stories inspired by/featuring the U.S. Navy. 


Last night I watched A Few Good Men. I can't believe how long it had been since I had seen this movie... still a good one. My favorite dialogue in this movie is when Lt. Kaffee, Lt. Commander Galloway, and Lt. Weinberg arrive in Cuba to investigate the case: 


Kaffee: Whoa. Hold it. We gotta take a boat? 
Barnes: Yes, sir. To get to the other side of the bay. 
Kaffee: Nobody said anything about a boat. 
Barnes: Is there a problem, sir? 
Kaffee: No, no problem. I'm just not that crazy about boats, that's all. 
Galloway: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy for crying out loud.


Tonight, I watched my favorite movie Top Gun. I have watched this movie so many times that I can practically recite the whole thing. And, it is so ironic that I am going into the Navy now especially since I am going into the aviation field. I love the comaraderie that is presented in the movie. I know that it is not factual, but it's still a great movie. And, whenever we watch Top Gun my brothers, my dad, and I always turn up the TV volume for the opening scene for "Danger Zone" and the sounds of the aircraft being readied until the aircraft takes off and leaves the aircraft carrier... as we did when we were growing up. I don't know why we do this, I guess it's just a bit of tradition. My brothers were giving me a hard time that I was mouthing the words as the actors said them.  "You never leave your wingman."


One day I hope to see all of these.... here's a list of movies featuring the U.S. Navy:


Navy Seals, Chasers, Going Under, The Caine Mutiny, Mister Roberts, Midway, In Harm's Way, Flight of the Intruder, Away All Boats, Destination Tokyo, The Enemy Below, Fighting Seabees, Hellcats of the Navy, Operation Petticoat, Victory at Sea; Run Silent, Run Deep; In the Navy, McHale's Navy, Francis in the Navy, Don Winslow of the Navy, The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell, Down Periscope, The Wackiest Ship Army, Ensign Pulver, Anchors Aweigh, Tears of the Sun, Officer and a Gentleman, Antoine Fisher, Annapolis, The Hunt for Red October, Pearl Harbor


There are also countless TV shows and documentaries.


I am so excited to be leaving for boot camp for the U.S. Navy in 24 days... time has really flown since I signed my contract back at the end of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment