Friday, April 29, 2011

Yard work = good aerobic exercise

This evening when my dad got home from work, he was so excited to mow the lawn because it was nice outside. He asked me to pick up sticks... ahhh, memories of the 21 years growing up in this house... my brothers and I used to do that all the time. I never realized how much of an aerobic work out, and abdominal work out you get from constantly bending down to pick up sticks around the yard, granted my yard is about 3 acres! I got the big sticks, tree branches, and bits of wood loaded into the wagon and either dumped into our "bonfire" burn pile or heaved into the area by the tree line at the back of our yard near the fire pit and the thicket. When I had finished after about a couple of hours, I could feel the tightness in my abs and I was sweating a little... it was time to down some water. Not bad considering I was sick all day yesterday and have been slacking a little bit on my PT lately... oops! Time to play catch up.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a good day today to dig up hostas and transplant as many as I could. In two hours I had planted a LOT. So I can empathize with the bending over and I had to really dig out those crowded hostas--got my exercise. Tomorrow, we put down the mulch. I should be loosened up and still a little achy! Have fun in the yard...LOL GM

    ReplyDelete