Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This just in... the Navy doesn't PT when it rains?! Huh?

This morning I texted my recruiter to see if she wanted me to come in early this afternoon for PT since I scheduled a meeting with her for my 30-day follow up.

Here's how the conversation went:

Recruiter: Don't think the weather is going to hold out for PT today.
Me: What? I just checked the weather forecast on www.weather.com and it said that Janesville only has a 15% chance of rain all day and it's supposed to be overcast, windy, and 60 degrees.
Recruiter: It's been raining on and off all day.
Me: No PT in the rain?!
Recruiter: No, no PT in the rain.
Me: Hmm... should I bring my stuff with me to our meeting just in case we do PT?
Recruiter: Nope, I just sent out the text to all the DEP people saying that PT is cancelled today.
Me: Really? We don't PT in the rain? Why not? Do we PT in the rain at boot camp?
Recruiter: Nope, we don't PT in the rain. And at boot camp all PT is inside. Unless you get a really gung-ho RDC (Recruit Division Commander aka drill sergeant of sorts for the Navy) who wants you to PT no matter what, you still won't PT if it's too hot or too cold outside.
Me: Do we work in the rain?
Recruiter: Yes, we work in the rain.
Me: So, we work in the rain, but don't PT in the rain... this so reminds me of the movie Rain Man, "This is a good one. We don't go out when it rains, this is a real good one...mystifying."

So, this really baffled me, oh well... ha ha ha.

My 30-day follow-up meeting went well today. I had my pee-in-a-cup drug/alcohol test. Then, I was quizzed on my PQS (Pre-qualification Standards) to see how well I am doing with my memorization of everything that is in the START Guide. I think that recording all of the things that I have to memorize and putting them on my mp3 player has helped because I did well, and she signed off on everything. I was also taught and "quizzed" on my military facings and etiquette. I still have to practice those and work a little bit more on my memorization, but things are moving along well.

I am still working on my PT and am now able to do at least 50 sit-ups and 25 push-ups. My run time, which is about 18 minutes, and swimming need a little bit of work. As of today, 29 days left to go! Then I am off to boot camp... so many things to get done, and I'm running out of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment