Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Making my walk interesting with Jake

Today I took my family's dog, Jake, out for our afternoon walk. I would love to go jogging with him, but it always seems to turn into a walk with intermittent sprinting.  He tends to get excited and then weaves in front of me, almost tripping me, and the whole time holding part of his leash in his mouth. This is why I usually keep the routine that I do. Today I decided to add some skipping. So I would walk for 30 seconds to a minute, then skip for 10-30 seconds, walk again, then sprint for 30 seconds and repeat for our 30 minute walk. Skipping brought my mindset back to grade school days, and helped to switch up my routine.

After my run I also did 20 push-ups, some jumping jacks, and jumped rope a bit... guess I got my cardio fix today.

I keep hearing different fitness tips that are supposed to help. Yesterday my recruiters said to run with higher knees, and how to do Navy sit-ups. It sounded interesting the way that they told us to do sit-ups: they said to touch your elbows to your knees, then touch your shoulder blades to the floor, but don't go all the way down because it wastes more energy... hmmm. My dad said to run on the balls of your feet and that running backwards both help to cut running times. A friend of mine told me to do sprints. I guess I shall see what works and what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment