Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Anchors Aweigh

One day I was watching $#*! My Dad Says and they were talking about the William Shatner's character's Navy days. Recently I was searching for a good audio version of Anchors Aweigh and revisited this TV episode.

Here are a couple of clips: 



I heard that we will have to be able to sing the Navy anthem "Anchors Aweigh." I am not surprised by this...it makes sense. 

I already have the sheet music, so I can sight-read the notes that I need to know. Kudos to all those years of choir training!   


There are different verses to the song. Wikipedia gives the original 1906 lyrics, then they were changed in 1950 and added a bridge. Today's lyrics are even longer than previous ones because it adds an additional verse and an additional bridge.

"The song is also is used in the US Navy boot camp in Great Lakes IL, recruits when passing through an underground tunnel heading away from the barracks sing the first verse and sing the second verse on the way back."


These are the lyrics taught to those at boot camp:

Verse 1
Stand, Navy, out to sea, Fight our battle cry;
We'll never change our course, So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll out the TNT, Anchors Aweigh. Sail on to victory
And sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!
Verse 2 (most widely sung)
Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day, of day.
Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

No comments:

Post a Comment