Monday, May 16, 2011

10 days... Wow!

I had an excellent weekend. I saw many of my friends yesterday and today.

Last night I had a going-away party with six of my closest friends, one of my brothers' girlfriends, and a couple of my brothers' friends who are also like brothers to me. It was a lot of fun! We started the evening about 8 pm and all either headed home or went to bed between 5 and 5:30 am. It was so nice catching up with everyone... good food, good conversation, good fun, good friends. A fun time was had by all... a perfect send-off party.

Tonight I met a close friend who I know from college, and we went for dinner then out for coffee. We spent a few hours visiting and catching up... it was really nice! Next week a couple of my close friends, one of which wasn't able to make the party, want to get together with me. Also, I will be seeing my niece and a few family members for the last time in quite a while.  I am going to try my hardest to fit everything in with my schedule.

It is finally sinking in that I am leaving. A month ago I was so anxious and ready to leave that it was all I could think about and nothing else mattered. Now I have one full week and a couple of days left to go before I ship out. I am relaxed and at peace with the fact that I am leaving. Only a few minor things have me on edge. I have one final Navy meeting next week for our weekly PT and then am going to get in my regular PT. There will be final house-keeping things to do before I leave, such as laundry and packing up the last of my room and talking to my family about important need-to-know items before I ship out.

It is so hard to believe that I will be moving out of my childhood home in 10 days. So many memories that it will be hard to say goodbye. I'm trying to take it all in for the last time... to relax and enjoy every moment of it. It will be awhile until I see it all again. Now I will be onto a new chapter in my life and oh, the experiences I will have and the places I will see. I can't imagine what all awaits me in this new venture. I am sure that I will have lots of stories to share along my journey. Once I leave for boot camp, I will not have access to a computer for 9 weeks, and will see when I get liberties back... probably in A school. As I have the time to recap my travels and new experiences, I will try to update everyone. I have all my addresses written in my address book and my stationary all ready to go. All I have to do is finish packing my few items to take with me to boot camp, then the rest of my "unnecessary" items will be shipped home. I will be provided with the essentials by the Navy, and begin my career.

Sometimes, I can't find the words to express what I'm feeling and a song is the only thing that will do... I want to thank everyone who has always been there for me in my support system of friends, family, teachers, and acquaintances. I face a crossroads in my life where I had a decision to make, and it helped to decide the path for the rest of my life. I am headed into the unknown, starting a new life, and I couldn't have gotten to where I am today without all of you. (I'm sure that there are more songs to describe it all, but this is what I thought of right now.)

Fall Out Boy- "Thnks fr th Mmrs" (thanks for the memories)

Green Day- "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"

Chantal Kreviazuk- "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

The Proclaimers- "I'm on My Way"

Eve 6- "Here's to the Night"

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday for a "going-away hug"! love you much, GM

    ReplyDelete