Monday, February 28, 2011

I am in the Navy, not everyone knows that

I have talked to quite a few people lately who either do not know that I joined the military, or they think I am in the Air Force rather than the Navy. I can see their confusion because I am in the aviation program. But the others who have no clue, I wish they would listen when I tell them things or actually read my postings on Facebook and such to find out what is new with me.

Also, I am still getting people who are surprised that I am going in regular enlisted rather than as an officer. There is not a huge call for officers right now, especially when it comes to English majors. They are looking more for prior military service, such as ROTC, technical degrees and more competitive GPAs. I don't have any of those right now... I did well in school, but the others are not applicable to me. The other thing is that the military is downsizing and they aren't taking as many people, so they can afford to be selective. I am lucky that I got in.

There are others who still tell me that since I don't have a guaranteed job, just a guaranteed job field, that I am getting screwed, i.e., making a poor decision in my military career.

I hate it when they do this. It just kind of gets on my nerves. I don't think people should be allowed to judge a book by it's cover. In other words, they shouldn't criticize my decisions or offer unsolicited opinions without knowing all of my reasons for joining or knowing the needs of the military and difficulty getting into any officer program right now. I am glad that they are all looking out for my best interest, but who better to know my interests and what's right for me, than me?  In the end it is solely my decision...my life.

I enlisted in the military because I want to serve my country, help others, gain leadership experience, have job security, travel, have a fitness regimen, begin a career, get assistance in paying off my student loans, further my education and pursue a masters degree, attain new skills, and follow family tradition. I am doing this for a sense of honor, loyalty, and duty. This is for personal gain.

And, I think the Navy is the best fit for me and will provide more for me as far as training and overall quality of life, that I won't get in any other branch.

I am willing and able to train for any position in the Navy that will utilize my skills and education, and serve the needs of the Navy.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Lis! You have all the right reasons for your choices--so be it!

    ReplyDelete