Monday, May 27, 2013

A change of rate... choosing my new fate

Well, I have to admit, boot camp was not the easiest time of my life. It was more nerve-wrecking than my first day of college. It was a complete re-boot where a civilian is reprogrammed into a sailor... given government training, a regimented set of rules, a brand new lifestyle, and a whole new set of clothes-- the uniforms that would be worn for a job serving our country in times of peace and times of war to complete a contracted agreement of service. You never realize how much people have to change when they enter the military. Not only are you changed on the outside with a new haircut, better posture, a more athletic build, and a snazzy new uniform, but you also receive a change of character.

When I received my job at MEPS (the military entrance processing station), I was given three choices. Hindsight tells me that I should have chosen the intelligence job that I was offered as a computer technician, yet every choice we make leads us down a certain path-- in other words, everything happens for a reason. My three choices were between a job with computers, one dealing with gas engine turbines, and working with airplanes as part of the crew onboard. Well, the gas engine turbine job sounded entirely out of my comfort level, so I narrowed down my choices to the other two jobs. I was really torn, and though I didn't go with my gut, I was also somehow drawn to my decision. I chose to be in aircrew. It was a job in one of the special programs... I didn't entirely know what this would mean for me and my recruiter didn't really have a good explanation of the job either. I did my own research and found out a little about the job. It sounded like I'd be part of the crew in the aircraft who assist the pilot with instrumentation. That seemed like it would be a lot of fun and a different experience than any other job I had done thus far. I was up for the challenge. What I didn't know was that it was more in-depth than I thought. At boot camp, I was given the real story about what my job would entail. They put me through a series of extra medical screenings. I received more shots and blood draws, also an EKG and essentially a full body scan. In the end, they found out that I had scoliosis and told me that I was medically disqualified for my job. The medical staff said that even though I had bad sinus allergies which could in and of itself disqualify me for the job, it was something that could have been waived, but issues with my musculoskeletal system were not. I had a feeling that something would prevent me from a job in special programs when I was told that my swimming level might not be to par,  but I guess my medical situation was what put it over the edge. I was told that I had to choose a new job. Believe me, the choices were not easy. I was given a larger list of jobs from which to choose this time, unlike the three at MEPS. I carefully weighed my options and assessed what would better me in the civilian world with skills after my contract was up. In the end, I chose to go forth as an undesignated airman. I didn't know the implications of my decision, yet it seemed like the best option at the time. Had someone told me that I would go through a pointless two months of waiting and training to be sent to the fleet and stuck in a random internship with no say, I would have taken more care with my choice of job.


No comments:

Post a Comment